Hi everyone! Well, today is officially my first day of summer break. My 3rd summer of being at home with Gavin. Each year has been great for very different reasons, but I have a feeling that this year is going to take the cake.
I thought I would kick off summer break with a bucket list of things that I want to do. I capped the list at ten, mainly so you all wouldn’t pass out from boredom. Please let me know if there is anything huge I am missing that an almost-three year old boy would love to do!
- Storytime/Museum/Pool- Of course. All of the tried and true (and cheap!) ideas. Evidently there is a fabulous story-teller at one of the local libraries that we have not tried yet, so I definitely want to check him out. Story time last year was pretty much a bust, but I think Gavin can sit for 25-minute spans now, so hopefully it will be okay. We are also members at the Museum of Life + Science, so I will try to make it there a couple of times a month as well.
- Beach! Our last official beach trip was in September, and Gavin had a ball making sand castles. We have beach trips planned to Bethany Beach, DE, Isle of Palms, SC, and Myrtle Beach, SC. I have high hopes! Fingers crossed.
- Fireworks- Gavin has never seen fireworks yet, and I think it’s time. We are staying local for the 4th of July holiday this year, so I think we are going to bite the bullet and take him.
- Ice cream- Yeah, it sounds boring, but not if you know what I know. There is an epic ice cream spot about 30 minutes from our house, basically out in the country. Sunni Sky’s has about a billion flavors of homemade ice cream. I actually like that it’s further away also, since it can easily count as our “excursion” for the day. If you live in the Raleigh area and have never been, wait no longer, friends.
- Baseball game- The Durham Bulls stadium is pretty close to us, and I think Gavin would enjoy the people watching, hot dogs, and ice cream, if nothing else. (I mean really, isn’t that why all of us go to baseball games? Seriously). The good news, the tickets are super cheap, so it’s not a crazy financial investment if it goes south fast.
- Movies- I am also thinking it is time for our first movie. Cars 3 comes out next week. I was hoping to take Gavin when he was closer to three, but oh well. The kid loves Lightning McQueen and Mater. Plus, I strongly suspect there will be many other screaming toddlers in the theater as well.
- Splash pads- We have a couple of local splash pads that are pretty decent. They are attached to parks also, so you can easily make a whole morning of it.
Side note…..for the life of me, I can’t figure out why I had Gavin in Puddle Jumpers in the above photo. He was at a splash pad. Did I think he was going to get washed away in a drain or something??
- Carowinds- A road trip to Charlotte is in the works. Gavin’s cousins live there, and we want to check out the new splash area geared directly to kids and families. Kiddy Hawk Cove looks to be perfect for the young set. (Love the name too!)
- Pirates Voyage– Supposedly a super fun pirate show in Myrtle Beach, and appropriate for toddlers. We are taking a family trip to MB in August, and plan on catching this show with my mom.
- Tweetsie Railroad– Not 100% sure about this one, but a trip to Blowing Rock may potentially be happening in early August. If so, we would love to bring Gavin to Tweetsie!
Whew! That’s pretty much it. Some bigger things, but some small stuff too. I love summer break so much! As a matter of fact, it can be tricky because all I want to do is have fun all day, errrrry day. Teachers, you feel me?? However, on occasion I try to do some mature things like cook, clean, and exercise. I actually am planning a post soon for how I transition back into a SAHM each summer……tips I try to follow to keep me on a pseudo-schedule.
I hope everyone is having a great week so far!
Tell me…..what is on your summer bucket list?